Woodlands at Old Oak Barn
We have managed the 40 acres of woodlands here for 25 years under strict environmental best practice and during that time there have been some new planting areas in 1998, 2004 and in 2012.
The main features include
- Mainly semi natural ancient woodland in other words there has been a woodland here virtually for ever.
- Probably about 1Km of tracks and paths have been put in since 1990.
- We offer all visitors a 4×4 trip around the woods weather permitting.
- The main species are Oak, Birch, Sycamore, Ash, Hazel, Wild Cherry and Alder.
- Old Oak Barn and the farmhouse are all heated with wood from Allt Cwmpalis.
- In addition firewood is sold locally which has been seasoned here on the farm for minimum of 2 years.
- When we renovated the barn in 2004/5 a lot of the timber you will see in it came from our woods including the alder floor and the oak lintels and sills.
- We have a small log cabin in the woods which serves as a base for the BBQ area.
For those interested in more information on the rules and regulations governing woodland owners you can visit Woodlands in Wales for more details!
The pic below shows the Big Blue extracting timber which had blown in the January gales 2014 – work being completed in September 2014.