Recommended tourist attractions in Carmarthenshire
1. The Tin Shed Experience, Laugharne is only 10 minutes from Old Oak Barn and is a great visit for those interested in World War 2 memorabilia. It opened in 2011 by an enthusiastic bunch of locals and is run as a not for profit organisation and is in the words of one visitor ” A very special museum run by a very special group of people”.
2. Creepy Carmarthen-The Spooky Town Tour, held in Carmarthen every Wednesday and during the 90 minute tour we unlock Carmarthen’s secret history – a unique introduction to the darker side of local life given a magical twist by your tour guide. Not for nothing was Carmarthen – the country’s oldest town – considered to be the “Wild West” of Wales. During the walk around the centre of Carmarthen you will hear unsettling stories from the past and visit the very place where a medieval bishop was burnt to death, stand where crowds watched public executions and sample life in the cells where murderers were held before the death sentence was passed.
3. Gwili Steam Railway, Bronwydd
We have written a small blog on the very popular steam railway already – and recommend the Santa Special!
4. WWT Llanelli Wetland Centre, Llanelli
The famous little egret is a popular visitor to the centre. A day spent here is very relaxing and there is so much to see and do. Please click on the link for more information including about all the latest daily sightings. The wetlands centre is about 40 minutes from Old Oak Barn and many visitors spend a day there when staying with us. One of our favourite places too!
5. Marros Riding Centre, near Pendine in Carmarthenshire
This popular riding centre is only 20 minutes from Old Oak Barn near St Clears and is open all year round. We recommend booking beforehand as they can get busy in the summer especially. I took my great nieces there and found the instruction to be suitable for all ages including those with less confidence. The girls loved it!