Old Oak Barn provides extremely child friendly holiday accommodation. When kitting it out we gave lots of attention to children’s needs so that both they and you have a wonderful holiday, whatever the weather.
It’s also well-located for visiting many child friendly attractions across Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire.
What we provide
Over the years we have welcomed hundreds of children to Old Oak Barn – the youngest only 6 weeks old! When kitting out the barn we gave lots of attention to the needs of little ones eg shoulder height book shelf, waist high hooks, well stocked games cupboards, age related toys and lots of thoughtful touches for children of all ages. Our chickens love attention!
Child friendly extras
- 2 swings in the woods and 2 in the small garden by the barn
- Travel cot including nice cotton sheets & cot duvet if needed
- High chair/children’s cutlery and plastic bowls
- Small basin step/potty
- Bed guard – baby activity gym mat
- Plenty of books and puzzles
- Baby bath and a changing mat if requested
- Buckets, spades, fishing nets and boogie boards to borrow
Children will enjoy collecting eggs from our free range chickens and eating them too!
One Easter two children asked if they could help clean them out replacing sawdust on the floor and hay in the nesting boxes and fresh water in their drinking bowl. It was thoroughly enjoyed!
Most of all it will be apparent to visitors that we love having children to stay and if asked we will happily babysit too.
- Feed our chickens and collect the eggs
- Play on one of the four swings
- Play in the little stream
- Walk in the woods
- Build dens in the woods
- Have a camp fire in the woods and toast marshmallows
- Have a picnic in the fields
- Go for a ride with Jerry and Charlotte in their 4×4 to check the sheep
- Check out the new playground in Meidrim just 5 minutes away with its zipwire and other new equipment
- Go to Krazy Kids soft play in Carmarthen – open 6 days a week – free for under 3s
- Go bowling in Carmarthen – including another soft play area for toddlers costs £2 entry
- Go swimming in Carmarthen Leisure Centre
- Get creative and make something at Narberth Creative Cafe
- Go to the castle in Laugharne
- Go to one of the farmers markets in Whitland or Carmarthen to see some sheep or cattle being sold
- Drag your Mum or Dad into St Clears charity shop for a great choice of books
- Go cycling in a bike seat in Pembrey
- just spend the day on the beach in Amroth, Saundersfoot, Tenby, Pendine or further afield in Pembrokeshire!.
Children love spending time in the woods at Old Oak Barn because the Log Cabin and BBQ area has 2 swings which provide hours of fun but if you are going out for the day there is lots to do too.
Here we list just a few of our favourite ideas.
- Visit Pembroke Castle in Pembroke itself and kids will be able to get a real understanding of what a castle was really like as they walk around its turrets and ramparts then when you are done pop into the nearby museum and do some brass rubbings.
- Call in at The Creative Cafe in Narberth and make something special to take home with you!
- Go 10 Pin Bowling in Carmarthen just 15 minutes away.
- Go to Oakwood Theme Park for a big day out! or go in the late afternoon to see the fireworks in the summer.
- Take the little boat from Tenby to the magical island of Caldey and on your way home do a spot of makerel fishing.
- Visit the farmers market in Whitland or Carmarthen to see some animals being sold. Check times before going!
- Go swimming in the sea or the local pool in Carmarthen.
- Go to the lovely playground in Meidrim. See link in Under 5s section.
- Go to Heatherton for a spot of go-karting.
- Pop down to Laugharne to see The Tin Shed museum about WW2.
- Go cycling at Pembrey with your parents – you can hire bikes for the day.
- Go horse riding at Marros
The list is endless – there are lots of other places to visit including many castles, a steam railway, a Toy Museuem and of course the beautiful beaches.
One of the area’s best playgrounds is in Meidrim, just 5 minutes away.
The village playground was upgraded a few years ago and now includes soft rubber surfacing which meets the requirements of BS EN 1177 giving children ultimate safety at all times. Meidrim Playground gets all the evening sun.
Visitors to Old Oak Barn often pop down to the playground because it is so near and it has a brilliant variety of well maintained equipment. The zip wire is great fun and often we are told the park is busy with local children enjoying the big outdoors during warm weather especially.